Subject: Where to store change-tracking information?

Greetings!

Idling away the weekend looking more closely at the capabilities of ISO
29500 for change tracking. ;-) Each to his own.

At least for spreadsheets (I haven't gotten to documents yet), I found
the following:

*****

12.3.17 Shared Workbook Revision Log Part

A Shared Workbook Revision Log part shall be located within the package
containing the relationships part (expressed syntactically, the
TargetMode attribute of the Relationship element shall be Internal).

*****

I understand that to mean that revision logs are held *internal* to the
package. To host them elsewhere, would be a non-conforming document. Yes?

Anyone with a contrary reading?

I mention that because if we are in a networked environment (I've heard
rumors we are), then revisions/changes could be hosted at some remote
location. Perhaps either for backup, collaboration, or auditing purposes.

Imagine that a regulatory agency has distributed its spreadsheet for
reporting data and it wants to host the revision/change tracking. If you
are being honest in your record keeping, what would you valid objection
be? ;-)

Anyway, it occurred to me while reviewing OOXML that revision/change
tracking for ODF needs to support both internal and *external* hosting
of revision/change tracking data.

If change tracking data approaches the smaller end of cell phone type
messages, I am wondering what legitimate objections there could be to
*external* storage? Thoughts?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

PS: When I finish this study document I will be posting it but purely as
a personal work product. I am proofing it against ISO 29500 but you
*should only use it* as capturing where you should look for the real
details.

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net