Subject: RE: [office] Where to store change-tracking information?

Hi Patrick

You are correct. All the parts of a SpreadsheetML package, as specified in 12.3 Part Summary, contain the following wording:

"A xxxx part shall be located within the package containing the relationships part (expressed syntactically, the TargetMode attribute of the Relationship element shall be Internal)."

"xxxx" represents the name of any of the parts specified in 12.3.

What this means is that a SpreadsheetML document (an OOXML spreadsheet) is only conformant if, for any of the parts specified in 12.3, the part is in the same package as the relationship and therefore in the same package as the reference (wherever that happens to be, i.e. in another part in the same package).

I think you'll find that this is true for WordprocessingML documents, PresentationML documents and the other share MLs (e.g. DrawingML). OOXML only defines documents that are entirely represented by a single package. External links to other resources are of course possible, but external resources are not considered to be part of the same document.

Packages in OOXML are defined in the abstract by OOXML Part 2 Open Packaging Conventions (OPC). The text of this part of OOXML is currently being extensively revised, with a new edition expected to be published in 2021, but the changes are essentially all editorial, the purpose being one of clarification. This is what the current draft of Part 2 has to say about abstract packages:

"The purpose of an abstract package is to aggregate constituent components of a document (or other type of content) into a single object. For example, an abstract package holding a document with a picture can contain an XML markup part representing the text of the document and another part representing the picture."

Change-tracking data is as much part of a document as a picture.

Physical packages can take forms other than ZIP packages. For example, a physical document may be represented by a stream other than a zipped (or unzipped) package. However, the concept of the package being "a single object" still applies.

So far as I can see, the only way to represent an OOXML document that depends upon external revision/change-tracking data is to use OOXML's extensibility features, which are described in Part 3 Markup Compatibility and Extensibility (MCE). An OOXML application would be required to carry out MCE processing before interpreting the package as a document, which would provide an opportunity to process external data before resolving the result as a single packaged object.

Kind regards,

Francis