Subject: Processing XML

Greetings!

A supplemental thought on processing XML.

I was summarizing OOXML change tracking (a long way from readable, even
now) over the weekend when I was struck by the concern over orphaned end
of paragraph markup, "Cross Structure" Annotations, and various issues
with shared worksheets. Current ODF change tracking has the same issues
and more so I'm not saying anything that isn't common to all.Â

However, I suspect the vast majority of XML applications don't work with
markup syntax in favor of working with an internal model, created by
reading the XML markup.

That is to say, in memory, there are no close elements, overlaps with
milestones, etc. All of those come when a document instance is
serialized to (drum roll), XML syntax.

Yes?

If that's not correct, please sing out now.

Thanks!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)