Subject: Re: [office] Question on implementation-defined - part 4 - formulas

Hi Francis,

The formula description describe the behaviour of a conformant OpenDocument Formula Evaluator evaluator, not of a conformant document. See 2.3.1.

We are using constraints to simplify the presentation but the "shall" is intended to specify a conformance requirement (for the evaluator, not the document).

We are using constraints since for the evaluation of most functions, the statement "If a constraint is not met, the function/operator shall return an Error." applies.

There are some functions were this is not the case, for example for BIN2DEC where the exception is that for an empty string (clearly in violation of the constraint) the evaluator shall return and error or 0. (And it is implementation defined whether this evaluator will always return 0 or always an error).

There are other places with similar exception language, for example in 5.12: "Functions shall propagate Errors unless stated otherwise." ISERROR and ISERR do not propagate errors.

Andreas

On 2020-10-31 6:08 p.m., Francis Cave wrote:

Hi Andreas

Thanks for pointing me to 6.2. Maybe Iâm getting hung up on terminology here, butâ

If the definition of a constraint is not intended to specify a conformance requirement, the use of âshallâ is bothering me. In 1.2 Terminology it is stated clearly that the use of âshallâ is to be interpreted âas described in Annex H of the ISO/IEC Directivesâ.

I have not been able to find a copy of the 5th edition of the ISO/IEC Directives Part 2, which is the edition listed in the Normative References. The current edition of Part 2 is the 8th edition and doesnât contain an Annex H. I have been able to access an online copy of the 6th edition on the CEN website, which has an Annex H âVerbal forms for the _expression_ of provisionsâ, which I presume to be the same as was in the 5th edition. Here the verbal form âshallâ is specified in Table H.1, which is preceded by the following text: âThe verbal forms shown in Table H.1 shall be used to indicate requirements strictly to be followed in order to conform to the document and from which no deviation is permitted.â The current edition is organized differently, but specifies much the same in Table 3 and clause 3.3.3.

I presume that Keyword Guidelines for OASIS Specifications and Standards, Appendix B, specifies the use of âshallâ as currently interpreted by OASIS, and therefore as assumed to apply to ODF 1.3. This defines the use of âshallâ in the following terms: âto indicate requirements strictly to be followed in order to conform to the standard and in which no deviation is permitted.â This is clearly consistent with the ISO/IEC Directives.

It would therefore seem that the use of âshallâ in definitions of function constraints is problematic.

Kind regards,

Francis