oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Testing Approach Decision #1: What Classes of Products Are To BeTested?

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 01/22/2009
08:03:03 PM:

> I don't doubt you, I just don't know where you are reading this.
>
> Where is that text?  It mentions W3C.

"Variability in Specifications" is here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/spec-variability/  Look at section 3 "Classes of
Products...".

> Also, where is the ISO language, if you don't mind.

The ISO usage is ubiquitous.  Harder to point to publicly available, since
most of them are freely available only to ISO participants, but one
example is ISO Directives, Part 2:
http://www.iec.ch/tiss/iec/Directives-Part2-Ed5.pdf

> I do want to be consistent, and in that case I seek a neutral term that
> relates to what I am talking about, whether or not it becomes related to
the
> interoperability understanding of OIC TC.

One idea is to simply move forward with identifying the product classes
that the standard actually defines conformance for, and then also note
that there are sub-products implied in the standard for which no
differentiating conformance requirements are defined, but for which the
market appears to distinguish.

>  - Dennis
>
> PS: Producers and consumers are implemented of course.  In terms of
> interoperability, especially because of the low floor of ODF, it would
seem
> that we want to attend to the need of a particular category of producers
and
> consumers of ODF documents.  I still think we need to be clear about
that in
> assessing the state of interoperability, for example.
>
> PPS: Also, because expression of a feature in terms of how a processor
makes
> the document human usable is going to require some sort of exemplars
> (clearly not normative but some how suggestive of what it means to
support a
> feature), in the case of office applications and ODF processors, how can
we
> avoid distinguishing these categories and indicating the ones we don't
have
> our primary attention on?  Is that cycle of learning and improvement
> entirely between implementation producers and their clientele, and we
deal
> exclusively with some abstraction that user interests will not relate to
> very well?  [This is an acutely personal question for me, but I do think
we
> need to be clear about it among ourselves.]

And perhaps we do make that distinction in the interoperability test
cases.  But I don't think we have a basis, in the standard, at least not
in ODF 1.1, to make that distinction in conformance tests.

Maybe David's questions each have two answers, one for conformance tests
and another for interoperability tests?

-Rob

Products
> [...]

> Consumer in a one-way pipeline
> Responding agent (e.g., server) of API (consumer and producer)
> Processor (consumer of its vocabulary/instructions)
> Module that hosts the processor
> Producer of instructions/commands to processor
> Profile derived from the specification's Rules for Profiles
> Specification (guidelines)
> This list does not exhaust all possibilities. Specifications may have to

> define their own classes of product if none of these fits."
>
> So I think we go in the wrong direction if we equate "product" with
> "implementation".  Formally, a product is the subject of the
> specification, the thing that conformance is being defined for.  ISO
> nomenclature is similar.  There standards specify the conformance of
> products, processes or services.
>
> > I am not clear what you are objecting too.  I do not mean to suggest
> that
> > there is anything different with regard to the conformance of the
> documents
> > they process and the conformance of that processing.  I do think, in
> terms
> > of the state of interoperability, the practical concerns are specific
> > document types and these classes of product.  I saw this as part of
> focusing
> > on where interoperability concerns exist.
> >

> I just want to make sure we're not making distinctions without
> differences.  For example, I do not see how ODF 1.1 would allow us to
> craft a conformance test for an ODF spreadsheet document that would be
> different in any way from a conformance test for a word processor
template
> file.  The standard itself does not define these as different products,
or
> at least does not give them different conformance requirements.
>
> > We should certainly clarify what we mean by "class of product" and
> whether
> > we will have more than one sense of that (and find a way to be clear
> which
> > one we intend in what context).  I can't imagine not distinguishing
> classes
> > of products in the world in terms of where the focus is (or is
desired)
> for
> > interoperability.  I thought that was how we wanted to guide our focus

> on
> > conformance details.
> >

> I'd recommend using the use in "Variability in Specification".
>
> > Furthermore, I don't understand your objection to the recognized and
> > required document types that ODF defines.  Those distinctions are
wired
> into
> > the ODF 1.0/1.1 specifications, as well as I can tell, and I know of
> nothing
> > in the ODF 1.2 work that is changing that.  I don't know whether
> OpenFormula
> > introduces any distinct conformance requirements, but in the case of
ODF
> 1.1
> > I agree that the conformance requirements are the same for all and any

> of
> > the recognized document types.  I'm not so sure about .oth and some
> others
> > that either receive no mention at all in the normative body of the ODF

> 1.1
> > specification, or are mentioned and left largely unspecified.
> >

> Again, I'm just trying to avoid making fine distinctions that ultimately

> will not be testable.  We can certainly keep the distinctions for now,
if
> you prefer, but since there is no underlying difference in conformance,
at
> least not in ODF 1.1, we would only be labeling identical product
classes.

> Of course, anyone could prove me wrong by giving a single counter
example
> of a conformance test assertion that would distinguish, say a conformant

> ODF spreadsheet document from a conformant ODF word processor template.
>

> >  - Dennis
> >
> > PS: I continue to separate application from the software that may be
an
> > instrument of that application.  (Or, put another way, for me
> application
> > software is not the application, it is software intended to support a
> class
> > of application.)  I shall never give up on keeping the two separate.
If
> you
> > require different terms for maintaining the distinction, let me know.
> > think the distinction is crucial.
> >

> I think most members will equate application and implementation, since
> that is the common usage, but I do understand the difference you are
> trying to enforce.
>
> > PPS: I also can be careless in how I use "application."  I'm training
> myself
> > to be more careful.
> >
> >    -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
> >
> > A. WHY I THINK OF THOSE CLASSES OF PRODUCTS (BOTH FORMATS AND
SOFTWARE)

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1/800_The_First_Wave_of_Decisi

> > ons>.
> > >

> > I'm taking "products" in the specific sense discussed in "Variability
in

> > Specification".  In that sense, ODF 1.1 (and ODF 1.0) defines three
> > specific products:
> >
> > 1) Conforming documents
> > 2) Conforming applications
> >
> > Applications are further split into:
> >
> > 2a) Those that read or write ODF
> > 2b) Those that both read and write ODF
> >
> > Although it may be natural to suggest other products, such as
> spreadsheets
> > versus word processors, these are not really "products" in the
> conformance
> > sense.  There is no definition of a "conformant ODF spreadsheet" that
> > differs from a "conformant ODF application" in general.
> >
> > That said there are certainly a range of implementations that we might

> > test against these product types, and some implementations may be
> > spreadsheets while others may be word processors.  But in the
> conformance
> > sense there is no such distinction in ODF 1.1.
> >
> > But I may be entirely wrong in the above analysis.  To show that I am
> > wrong, you will need to show me where conformance is defined different

> for
> > each product where you suggest a different product exists.  For
example,
> > may be wrong if we can show that there is conformance for an "ODF
> Package"
> > that is distinct from an "ODF Document", or that an "ODF Document
> > Template" has distinct conformance requirements from an "ODF
Document".