oic message

Subject: RE: feedback on ODEF meeting and the upcoming interop event in TheHague

Hi Bart...

Yes, absolutely! I was hoping to get this out before the trip to London; however, they will have to wait. I will commit to getting these posted as my first priority when I am back from the trip.

When you mention "by then"; which date specifically are you referring to?

Thanks,
-Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: Hanssens Bart [mailto:Bart.Hanssens@fedict.be]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:14 AM
To: oic@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear OIC members,

Yesterday, there was a European IDABC ODEF meeting on the exchange of
documents in open formats within the European Commission and the public
administrations of EU Member Sates.

Although not strictly tied to ODF, the result can be interesting for the
OIC, since the goal is to gather requirements and a list of features
used by public administrations in the EU, and share technical
information on interop issues.

Since most (or all) of the meetings will be held in Brussels, and I'm
invited by default anyway (as Member State expert) I hereby volunteer to
act as some kind of liaison between the OIC TC and this working group.

As for now, the wiki, forum etc are accessible by Member State Experts
and some invited experts only (although this might change in the future,
the main goal is to have the EU Member States involved)

Since Michiel and Fabrice from the Netherlands were also present, we
briefly discussed the upcoming ODF interop event in The Hague (organized
by OpenDocSociety and the Dutch government program NOiV, so not related
to the EU IDABC)

The suggestion is that the OIC could provide one or more application
scenarios. For example, a document with an expense sheet (company logo
on top, some fields like current date and name, an embedded spreadsheet
with a sum, footer with page number etc)

(So Stephen, if you'd have some applications ready by then, that would
help a lot ;-)

With that application scenario, users could (either before or during the
event) create this document with their favorite ODF-implementation and
test it in various other products.

Apparently they have a super-duper network connection, so the results
will most likely be tracked online (OIC members might additionally use
JIRA, but there will also be another tool for all participants).
Of course, many implementers will also be there, so they can talk to the
testers and gather the results in order to improve their products after
the event.

Best regards,

Bart