oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] application scenario The Hague

KOffice wasn't at the Beijing workshop.  But we did try OpenOffice,
Symphony, Google Spreadsheets and Excel (via the Sun Plugin).

In any case, we need to distinguish namespace compatibility from the
compatibility of the calculation engine.  You need to get past the
namespace issues (some newly introduced) to even get to the real
calculations.  The two issues I know of are OO 3.1's use of the ODF 1.2
namespace, which not all applications are prepared to handle.  And Office
2007 SP2 uses an OOXML namespace (and syntax) which other applications do
not understand.

There are three levels to be concerned with:

1) Namespace
2) Syntax
3) Semantics

Level 1 is trivial and not really an interesting workshop topic.

Topics 2 &  3 are the core, and I would prepare spreadsheets in several
combinations of namespaces and syntax so all implementations at the
workshop could test their semantic understanding of the formulas, i.e., do
they yield correct results, according to the draft OpenFormula.

-Rob

Andreas J Guelzow <aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca> wrote on 05/31/2009
08:59:02 PM: