oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] RE: mail merge interop ?

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> A side point -- I was at a conference in South Africa last year and saw a
> presentation on their efforts to standardize address formats for the
> country.  The standard, which was still under development, identified
> something like 31 different address forms, and this is a country with 11
> official languages!  So I'm wary of trying to tackle this problem for the
> entire world.

I'm pretty sure there are at least 31 (would be) standards, and indeed,
many countries use multiple "standard" address forms for different
application domains.

I cataloged some of the standards efforts here:

http://xml.coverpages.org/namesAndAddresses.html

> However, there are four approaches to this, and similar problems, that are
> worth thinking about:
>
> 1) Do nothing and leave it all to be application defined.
>
> 2) Attempt to define identifiers and semantics for all possible address
> formats in use in the world.  We know that this is fragile, and would need
> to deal with all sorts of weird conventions, from poste restante to APO
> address and so on.
>
> 3) Adopt a declarative approach where the standard defines a set of
> spanning capabilities that are declared in a document, that put together
> can express all address formats, known and unknown.    A good start would
> be the Universal Postal Union's UPU S42 "International Postal Address
> Components and Templates" standard, which defines the "smallest meaningful
> parts of names and addresses"
>
> 4) Generalize this even further by realizing that "mail merge" is really
> "date merge" and has nothing fundamental to do with address, aside from
> that being a conventional use.  Obviously interoperability of data merge,
> in the general case, requires interoperability of data bindings, etc.  And
> that isn't likely to happen.  I would not expect that a
> document/application bound to my database (with my credentials) would work
> on your machine, using a different editor, but more importantly, not
> having access to my database.  I'm not saying this could not be made to
> work, but it further out there, in terms of common document exchange
> scenarios.

That suggestion seems to have a lot of merit.  I think it could be
a big win if an ODF module would provide support for minimal merge
(data merge) based upon e.g., a very simple notion of e.g., VCARD
address subset.  Since I've not followed this thread to date, and
don't know what functionality is already supported by the spec/software,
I'd best stop there.  Summary: something simple might be better than
nothing.

- Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html