oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] Review of ISO/IEC JTC Interoperabilty Considerations

Personally I don't think we get much from JTC1 Directives in terms of
guidance, best practices or illustrative examples concerning
interoperability.  They are hardly at the forefront of work in this area.
We are better off looking at what the W3C does, what the Web Standards
Project did, or even what other OASIS TC's do.  Pick your top five IT
standards where you think interoperability is good in practice. Ask
yourself, how did they get there and what can we learn from the path they
took.  We can learn from successes as well as failures.

Of course, I'm not adverse to taking good ideas from anywhere we can find
them, but I find the JTC1 Directives to be full of platitudes about
interoperability, but short on any concrete best practices.  If JTC1 has
anything useful, you would need to search for it deeper in some technical
report.  You're not going to find it in the Directives.  That document is
just cobbled together, primarily by standards bureaucrats with little
technical experience in this area.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 06/09/2009
01:12:11 PM:

> [...]
>
> I suggest that we  review the interoperability-related considerations
that
> are found in the ISO/IEC JTC1 directives that apply to submission of ODF
as
> an ISO/IEC International Standard.
>
> Rob Weir provides this reference: ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives, (5th Ed., v.
> 3.0, 5 April 2007) pg. 145,
> <http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0856rev.pdf>.  I find it valuable to
> take a guided search through the few occurrences of "interoperability"
in
> the document.
>
> I recommend this review for the following purposes:
>
>  1. Understanding what the interoperability considerations at JTC1 are,
and
> how they apply to a submission such as ODF as an International Standard
>
>  2. Seeing what value, if any, the JTC1 directives have in how we
approach
> guidance and inspection/testing methodologies.  I am thinking in terms
of
> any OIC-provided feedback and recommendations that support the ODF TC in
> having the ODF specifications satisfy JTC1 criteria related to
> interoperability (to the degree that their satisfaction matters as part
of
> joint arrangements between OASIS and JTC1).
>
>  - Dennis
>
> MORE DETAILS AND PERSONAL ANALYSIS
>
> I am making this recommendation based on an exchange that just occured
on
> the oic-comment list.  Here is more thinking about the subject:
>
>  1. For the purpose of ascertaining how interoperability considerations
are
> delimited in the JTC1 Directives (ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives, (5th Ed., v.
> 3.0, 5 April 2007), I find it useful to browse through the document
using a
> search on "interoperability," paying attention to the context and any
> statements of policy that pertain at each occurrence.  There are a
moderate
> number of occurrences (although only two are included in the index) and
> recommend conducting the exercise.
>
>  2. Although it might be a matter of some interest how the ODF
specification
> is assessed with regard to the interoperability-related criteria that
apply
> to it as an ISO/IEC JTC1 submission, I don't believe that the OIC TC has
> undertaken any responsibility in that regard.  This seems to be a proper
> concern for the ODF TC, especially as JTC1 policies come to bear on
future
> submissions pertaining to IS 26300, its maintenance, its revisions, and
its
> possible replacements.
>
>  3. I don't think the OIC TC is considering the assessment of the
> specification with regard to its satisfaction of JTC1
> interoperability-related criteria.  I don't believe that inspecting the
ODF
> specification in this way has ever come up; the charter does not refer
> that particular challenge.
>
>  4. It seems that the OIC TC assessment of the state of interoperability
is
> not about the application of the JTC1 criteria, but about practical
> achievement of interoperability.  (I do confess that the ISO/IEC
Information