oic message

Subject: advisories and tagging in svn

Hi,

some lessons learned :-)

I've updated Advisory 00001 to "candidate" status, and tagged it as tags/20100630
(a simple svn copy operation). I'd rather not use version tags like "v1.0", but that's
just a personal preference (and somewhat mimics W3C's versioning of working drafts)

Unfortunately, this meant creating one extra level in the path, breaking the relative link
to ../styles.css. So I moved the styles.css to the same directory as the description.html
because I'd rather not want to include an absolute URL to this css (IMHO this would be
even more fragile / cumbersome when preparing a compilation of advisories)

This does waste some space, and kind of defeats the purpose of having a separate
css file, but then again, it's only a few hundred bytes.

The upside: it was an exercise in tagging: I updated the link to the css in the trunk,
tagged it again as a separate 201006302 tag and - on top of that - tagged that version
as "latest".
It does create duplicate files on the client, but keep in mind that tagging is very cheap
on the server side (SVN just creates an internal link) and allows one to always link to
the .../tags/latest, in order to get the latest (tagged) version.

Alternatively, we could decide not to use .../tags/latest at all (because that would also
mean updating this tag each time when a new tag is created), and explicitly link to the
versions tagged with a date. This would have the benefit of keeping the tags tree in
an "append only" state (not enforced, but as a policy)

Either way is fine with me, any suggestions ?

Best regards

Bart