oic message

Subject: students...

The idea I have is to engage students (and their professors) in working on open standard issues and work as an educational tactic. The place to start:

* Seneca college, Toronto: they already do work on OOo, Mozilla, etc., and there is an apparatus for so engaging the students. (It comes down to paying the college—aka, vocational community college.)

* Barcelona open education efforts: There is a quite strong effort in Barcelona for open education via distance learning technology with the aim of producing competent (certifiable) Foss workers. I would like to engage them, anyway, in OOo production, but as we all know, easier said than done, the code not really lending itself to casual fun. However, the ODF standard is a different story.

* Possibly Portland universities….

Resources required: we would need a mentor or mentors to help out here. (It occurs to me that Dave E. might help, and he's a teacher, too.) These mentors need not be that engaged in the matter and could arguably just set tasks and supervise—not trivial, by any means, but a scope of work that expands the existing pool of mentors.

Timeline: I'd like to see if we can actually do this for the final stretch.

Suggestions? (For instance: is this bonkers for now, plan for later; or, how about India? China?)

Best
louis