oic message

Subject: Advisory 00007 - Table Rows / Table Columns

I went back to ODF 1.0 to find out what this is about.  I didn't figure out how it works for <table:table-columns> but when I looked at <table:table-rows> I notice that these groups can have their own headers, and they are definitely considered "grouped."

Now, in many arrangements with nested groups, it is desirable to repeat the group headers for any group that is split across pages.

I suspect that there is some sort of intended control over how group headings are repeated or not.  There is also an interesting situation where most of a group is hidden (leaving a heading and a summary line for example).  There could also be a widows-orphans control desired in such cases too (i.e., whether to do a page break to keep the rows of a group together, or not).

These are all user-related observations.  Whether and how this sort of thing was meant to be incorporated in how groups are paginated is not evident in an initial pass on the material -- too much tacit knowledge, not enough specification.

I don't know if there is any way to check against an implementation for confirmation of any of this.

 - Dennis E. Hamilton
   tools for document interoperability,  <http://nfoWorks.org/>
   dennis.hamilton@acm.org  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid