oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] Template Scenarios - Resilience Testing

On 07.03.2012 18:31, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
[More instant design, but something I have thought about a great deal.]

The ODF specification has never had more than about two paragraphs about templates.  Essentially the only specific information is in ODF 1.2 Part 1 section 4.3.2.12 on <meta:template>.  There are some other words that establish different extensions and MIME types for template files.  But nothing about what they are and how they are any different from the document types they are related to.
AFAIK the reason that it is not described in more detail is that the only difference between a template and an ordinary realted mime type document, is that by a usual opening of the document, the document is flagged as new.
As this is application behavior, it has not been specified. Nevertheless IMHO I would provide a little note saying so, otherwise others might be puzzled, too.
BTW editing the template is possible as well, but requires the document in a certain application mode - ie. template editing.

(There's also a glitch in that there was a move to allow (template) documents that have only styles, but the schema does not seem to allow that.  That needs to be double-checked.)
I read the spec that it is possible to have a styles.xml alone in a package, though I would rather have written it using "or" than "and" in:
"
 A.2)the package shall contain at least one of the following files: content.xml and styles.xml. It may contain additional files, including files named settings.xml and meta.xml."
see http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-part1.html#OpenDocument_Document

With that frugal level of specification, there is an interesting opportunity.

The xlink:href attribute of the <meta:template> element can be a relative reference within the package itself.  That is, an ODF document could well carry the template it was created with/governed by.  To make things easy, that template could even be in the single-XML-file format, rather than requiring a full-up subdocument.  There are cases were a packaged template might be handy, but that could also be embedded as a package (single Zip file) rather than exploded as a subdocument.  In particular, an embedded package could be independently signed.
Pointing at itself with a certain version - as the latest version might no longer be the template - might be possible. Similar the original template residing in the Internet might be pointed out.

This might be relevant in some other discussion that have been going on, both for collaborative honoring of a document profile and for maintaining the integrity/provenance of turnaround documents.

It would be interesting to create some resilience tests just to confirm that having relative <meta:template> xlink:href values and embedded templates doesn't confuse anyone.  An important interoperability case would be to make sure that if the <meta:template> element is preserved, so is the embedded template, even if the consumer-producer made no use of the template.
Let us do some scenarios, I am not certain I fully understand your idea above.
My main scenario was that two ODF applications trying to collaborate should be able to agree easily on the same style set. In addition we have in the back of our mind, that even the feature set might be of interest. I suppose if I am able to work with images and you not and I insert one, my application will tell me that you will not see it. Similar might happen for proprietary fonts that do not exist at my collaboration partners side.

Svante

 - Dennis