oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Advisory 00005: Line-through style/type - Follow-Up

It appears from the sample documents that common implementations take the approach that if one of style:text-line-through-type or style:text-line-through-style is present, the default assumed by the absence of the other is one of single or solid.

For an implementation to want different behavior, it appears that the producer should include both and use "none" as desired, especially to over-ride a style-inherited feature.  However, implementations also ignore a "none" type when there is a non-"none" style.  The sample documents don't demonstrate the reverse case.

It would appear that there is no way not to break what existing implementations do.  However, existing implementations might only produce a few cases, and we need to see what those are.

 - Dennis

EXPERIMENT: I opened test-002.odt in LibreOffice 4.0.4.2 in Windows 8 x64.  I made another paragraph (it had a line automatically), selected its text and removed the overstrike.  I made another line from that and I added an overstrike.  Interesting result:

 1. The <style:text-properties> for Strike1 through Strike4 were all changed to have single

      style:text-line-through-style="solid"

    attributes.  There was no -type attribute in any case.

 2. In the paragraph that I removed the strike-through from, it *inherited* its style from Strike4
    But it had an automatic style P1 with <style:text-properties> having
style:text-line-through-style="none".

 3. The paragraph that I then made and put the strike-through back in, that was another automatic style, also inherited fro Strike4, but now its <style:text-properties> has
style:text-line-through-style="solid".

No wonder people get nutty trying to figure out how some style effect won't go away.