oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Version or no version this is here the question..

This is a tricky problem and one that's been discussed a few times on the ODF and OIC TCs. To answer your question, our ODF 1.2 implementation (Office 2013) avoids writing out this attribute so that ODF 1.1 implementations (including Office 2010) can consume those documents without errors.

This means that we're writing invalid ODF 1.2 documents, but the alternative is interoperability problems for our users. I know that several other ODF 1.1 implementations ignore the attribute, but to my reading the standard is quite clear that unknown attributes in ODF 1.1 namespaces are not permitted in documents.

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to add versioning to a format without breaking something. :(

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: oic@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:oic@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Svante Schubert
Sent: 27 August 2013 07:52
To: 'OIC TC List'

There is an ODF implementor, who would like that its ODF 1.2 office documents are able to be opened in elder office versions, some implementations as MS Office 2010 (to name one with a large market
share) do not ODF 1.2 document.
The reason seems a new XML attribute about the version in the META-INF/manifest.xml See as well https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3740

What is the silver bullet to track this problem?

Waiting for the vendor to fix it or leaving the manifest version out spreading invalid ODF 1.2 documents?

It seems to me the invalid option is the only that is able to deal with reality. How does the other vendors have solved such problems?

Thanks in advance,
Svante