Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] What is interoperability anyway / really?

New to the list, so I apologize if I'm a little off in my understandings...

The best example of Interoperability I can think of is a screw driver.
A phillips (aka star) screw driver is a "standard".  It has many
manufacturers - MasterCraft, Stanely, etc.  I can easily substitute any
manufacturer's phillips screwdriver, for use with any phillips headed
screw, and expect the same usage method, and same results.  (yes, I
conveniently ignored the size of the screw/screwdriver here)

Applying this idea to software, particularly where documents/data is
concerned.  I would expect that I can use any manufacturer's/vendor's
tool to apply to my problem (creating/saving a document), and get the
same results.  I would expect to be able to swap out the tool used at
any time, with no hassles.  Simply because the definition of the
data/document is well enough that every manufacturer knows what is
expected when creating or reading those documents.  This also means I
can easily move my document around the Internet and various
organizations I deal with, as the (well defined) document becomes the
driving force for the tool, not the otherway around.

To achieve true interoperability, we need an unbiased definition of the
document.  To me that means putting on my "document definition" hat and
asking what is right for this project, and not letting any outside
influences affect that.

My thoughts.  And I'll return to lurking now.. :)

Shawn