Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Interoperability versus Conformity

I think making a google document for people to add in things suggested for the acid test is in order!
  http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgf4kr8g_19c3r6k6f2&invite=fprx8z2

copy that link to edit the document IF this method is acceptable (per Rob) to make a draft of requirements for an Acid test.

I'm creating a mostly blank google word doc, maybe we can all edit it (I think the limit is 50 editors at once and 150 viewers or something)....it can be edited via the link I provided. It will update realtime with the editors, so everyone can contribute their input simultaneously.  It seems to me to be the easiest tool to use for collaboration.

Rob, please shoot me an email if you'd like me to remove this in case this is not a method you'd like to use in order to edit the document. I don't want to do this in any way you'd find inappropriate, just wanting to help.

Best Regards,
Matthew B. Reingold
Fire Protection, ROHS,CITS, Water Systems
-----------------------------
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
P:  1-877-UL HELPS (854-3577), ext. 44689
P:  1-847-664-1305
F:  1-847-574-4005
E:  FireSafety@us.ul.com
W:  www.UL.com

UL Customer Service is available to assist you in the U.S. Monday - Friday 7am - 7pm CST.
Visit us Globally at http://www.ul.com.
*****The Standard in Safety*****
Any information and documentation involving UL Mark services are provided on behalf of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) or any authorized license of UL.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
2008/6/11  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:

> From the study I've done of the topic, the greatest source of visual
> interoperability problems today, with the ODF implementations out there, is
> not from any defect in the ODF standard.  It is caused by incomplete/partial
> implementations of the standard, where a particular feature is implemented
> partially, or not implemented at all.  With the way document layout works, a
> small failure in a single feature can have a global effect in the document,
> shifting lines, pages, figures, around.  Small failures can make a large
> difference.  This is a kind of problem that lends itself well to testing, to
> profiling and to working with vendors toward improvements.

Do you or someone have a list of these? Sounds like an excellent start
on an ODF Acid Test. And, of course, a good checklist of what features
an ODF writer needs to implement in what order.

Indeed an acid test in the form of a (multi-page?) document with progressively complex/esoteric directives could be a useful device for 'naming and shaming' poor implementations, as has proven very effective for W3C standards. It will be interesting to see if there is a place for something like this alongside a more complete test suite, or indeed if there is even a need for both (presumably the former will enjoy more eyeballs which is arguably a good thing, if it can be brought up to the task).

This should be a lot easier for spreadsheets (at least formulas) where a green/orange/red matrix could be set up, potentially with each field dependent on the last based on implementation priority. Acid3 appears to do something like this (eg I just got 71/100 on FF3rc2).

Sam

--
Matthew B Reingold
Cell: 847-553-8097