Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests (was: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Interoperabilityversus Conformity)

"Peter Dolding" <oiaohm@gmail.com> wrote on 06/12/2008 07:49:30 AM:

> Its a simple technical reason.   W3C CSS2 test suite is harder to use
> compared Acid test.   Anyone with even basic skills can point there
> browser to the Acid Test and see result.  More experience is need to
> use CSS2 test suite and the like.   Note the W3C test suites are older
> than the Acid Test.   Acid Test make problems more displayed.

OK.  So reading between the lines, I'm getting the impression that one of the important goals of an Acid-type test would be that it can be run by anyone -- end users, journalists, i.e., non-geeks.  They don't need to first download and install a JDK, ant, and a dozen XML tools first.   They just load the document in their editor and see how it looks.  But we may also have another set of tests (I've been calling them 'atomic tests') that are targeted to vendors and testing labs.

-Rob