Subject: Re: [Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reference implementation. Layout perfect.]

2008/6/13 Shawn <sgrover@open2space.com>:
> oops, forgot to make sure the list was addressed...
>
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
>>
>> Or just do it by manual inspection.  There are ways of making that
>> approach tractable.
>
> I am hesitant to introduce manual tests.  Doing so introduces a very
> subjective input from humans.  A pleasing shade of red to me, may be jarring
> to you.  An interpretation of an output may be fine for me, but may fail for
> you.  The results are NOT definitive.

Wholly agree that this is not desirable.
Go take a look at ODF though. Many of the requirements result in
subjective output.

It is up to the TC to define tests which are objective, even when assessed
by manual inspection. If this isn't possible, then IMHO it is something
the TC either makes a decision on and informs the main TC, or we
identify it as untestable (objectively) and inform the main TC.

I've had ISO9000 approval on software which included quite
a large proportion of tests being assessment of screen content.
It is possible.