Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Implementation vs. result (CDRF, profiles, et al.)

2008/6/19 Shawn <sgrover@open2space.com>:

> I don't think we are hear to solve the "interoperability quagmire".  I
> believe all we need to worry about is
> a) how well various applications conform to, or utilize the ODF standard.
> b) identify problem areas that need to be brought to the attention of the
> ODF TC (if that's the right place for changing the ODF standard).  I doubt
> we are here to change the standard itself.  There are other TC's for that
> job.
>
> If that is the given "goal" of this TC,

I hope that's not right or we're wasting our time Shawn. We're here
to define the goals if the TC. >=3 Oasis members requested this work.
Up to us to scope the TC work.

then we only need to worry about how
> to test the conformity, and how to identify problem areas.  Which takes us
> square back to defining profiles and tests.  All other discussion becomes
> OT.  More specifically, we only need to worry about drafting the charter to
> allow these activities, and to avoid clouding the issue with the other
> interpretations of "interop".

With the level of interest in interop I'm suggesting the focus shift to
your b above.
Review the standard to seek areas where interop could be aided and
feed back proposals to the main TC for changes.
Testing for compliance then becomes secondary, although a clear means
of finding interop (untestable areas) issues.