Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Informative clauses

Sander Marechal <s.marechal@jejik.com> wrote on 06/23/2008 06:01:07 PM:

> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Let me connect the dots for you then, using ODF 1.1.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > Section 1.4 "Relax-NG Schema"
> >
> > "The normative XML Schema for the OpenDocument format is embedded within
> > this specification. It can be obtained from the specification document by
> > concatenating all schema fragments contained in chapters 1 to 16. All
> > schema fragments have a gray background color and line numbers."
> >
> > -----
> >
> > So the schema is declared to be normative.  By using Relax NG we have an
> > ISO-approved formal notation for indicating structural and content
> > requirements and options for XML.  Since 2.4.2 "Base Settings" is
> > obviously a schema fragment (with gray background color and line numbers),
> > this is included in the set of normative requirements defined by the
> > schema.
>
> I think what Dave is pointing to , is that there's nothing in the spec
> that says an application has to use <config:config-item> element to
> store it's application-specific base settings. It could store them
> anywhere withing the document tree using all kinds of non-inerop extensions.
>
> The element is there. Just not the text that says an application
> should/must use that to store it's base settings.

Right.  But that can be said of every feature of ODF, and indeed of every XML-based standard that I can think of.  It doesn't mean that they are not testable.  It just means that interoperability cannot be guaranteed by a conformance test. But that is why this TC is needed, right? If interoperability could be guaranteed by merely defining conformance, then we'd have no work to do.

-Rob