Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Informative clauses

2008/6/23  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:

> Section 1.4 "Relax-NG Schema"
>
> "The normative XML Schema for the OpenDocument format is embedded within
> this specification. It can be obtained from the specification document by
> concatenating all schema fragments contained in chapters 1 to 16. All schema
> fragments have a gray background color and line numbers."

Informative statement? Schema is normative. Doesn't say
all instances of ODF documents shall be valid to it.

> -----
>
> So the schema is declared to be normative.  By using Relax NG we have an
> ISO-approved formal notation for indicating structural and content
> requirements and options for XML.

That's a view. Not a requirement stated in the paragraph.
Your lax interpretation.

 Since 2.4.2 "Base Settings" is obviously
> a schema fragment (with gray background color and line numbers), this is
> included in the set of normative requirements defined by the schema.

Only by your inference. Nothing in the para states so.

Oh dear.
Grepping for validity.

1.5 Conforming applications either shall read documents that are valid
against the OpenDocument schema if all foreign elements and attributes
are removed before validation takes place, or shall write documents
that are valid against the OpenDocument schema if all foreign elements
and attributes are removed before validation takes place.

2.1.2 it may validate the document. Otherwise, it is optional to
validate the document, but the document must be well formed.

So a document must be well formed! A start. (I'll be generous and
assume they mean a conforming office document though it's not stated)

That is the only relevant mention of validation Rob.

So although the schema is stated to be normative, there is nothing
(that I have found) that requires an xml instance
claiming to be an ODF document to be valid to the schema.

Unless you know otherwise?

I repeat. The TC will be wasting its time if it takes your lax
approach to verbiage.