Subject: RE: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective (purpose of=?UTF-8?Q?TCs=3F=29?=

Peter,

Some people would argue this is the primary purpose of TCs!  ; -)

Thanks, DW

> It is a balancing act. In a sense, the ODF TC can define conformance
> however it wants. We can have a very loose definition that makes many
> applications conformant. Or we can have a very strict definition that no
> existing ODF application can pass. I don't think it makes sense to define
> conformance for ODF to be such that only heavy-weight, traditional desktop
> editors can claim conformance. Doing so would risk leaving out the most
> interesting and vibrant part of the market today.

This is exactly why I said TC should not be headed by implementers.
But by neutral organization. We cannot care if everyone fails.
Look at the html acid tests when they were released not one rendering
engine passed.

You just made the same claims as Microsoft made for why failing the
first Acid Test was fine.

The key thing is that we can order the applications from the most
conformant to the least and be able to tell implementers what section
of there program is not working correctly so they can fix it. This
is a TC not some ok you have a defect you can slide place.

Undocumented sections of standard and Applications not following
standard are the two sections we always have to have issue with.
Part of being a TC bending peoples noses out of joint from time to
time is required even if its your own company robert.

Peter Dolding