Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Welcome!

For counting noses, I am keenly interested in *ODF* Implementation, Interoperability and Conformance (IIC) and not other kinds of XML interoperability.  (Since I'm not associated with any OASIS member organization, and am not an individual member, this may not count for much.)

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org

Off Topic, but relevant to the scope of OIIC:

Rob Weir said:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00016.html
"To my knowledge, no ODF implementation today actually writes additional content to an ODF document in a foreign namespace, although the standard allows this."

There are a few "foreign" namespaces in the root element of typical OpenOffice.org ODF document.  (The one used for Calc formulas is one case but there are others.)

Another case is use of "foreign" MIME types in the manifest entries for binary material in ODF packages.  This latter example is another demonstration of why ODF IIC is not going to work the same (I presume) as web-services and "pure" XML document IIC in other application domains.  There might be some overlap in tools, but divergence into domain-specific stuff should happen pretty quickly.