Subject: Notes: Interoperability versus Conformance

I want to express my agreement with the clarification that has been offered with regard to interoperability and conformance.  [I avoid "conformity" simply because measurable technical conformance is a more likely a functional requirement whereas interoperability is an -ility most of the time [;<).

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
------------------
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org

BACKGROUND MATERIALS

The following discussion posts are ones that I have noticed with regard to teasing out the views on interoperability and conformance and seeing how they are resolving around the scope and deliverables for the OIC TC.  I compiled this for myself so I am sharing it for the benefit of other latecomers.  (I notice that I rely on Rob Weir a great deal for mid-thread statements that confirm understanding or add clarity.)

2008-06-06 Robert Weir, Re: What are we validating and why? (goes into "assessment methodology")
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00024.html

2008-06-08 Robert Weir, Interoperability versus Conformity
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00032.html

2008-06-10 Shawn Grover, Question on References
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00081.html
On this thread, the issues of interoperability across versions of ODF and how processors can deal with up- and down-level matters are treated more off-hand than I'd like - I think this can be a big deal and more anticipation is called for in interoperability guidance and the ODF specifications.

2008-06-11 Sam Johnston, Re: Interoperability versus Conformity
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00097.html

2008-06-11 Robert Weir, Re: Interoperability versus Conformity (on scripting test cases)
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00130.html

2008-06-12 Sam Johnston, Re: (1)(f) and (1)(g) -- audience and working language
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00128.html
divergence into issues about pixel perfect and other matters of conformance and interoperability

2008-06-12 Robert Weir, Re: Caution and Disclaimer on Interoperability
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00179.html
Great statement on not confusing conformance and interoperability with political agendas and fields of use and implementation that cannot be expressed without emasculating the specifications (IMHO), links to OASIS Conformance Requirements document

2008-06-12 Robert Weir, Re: Caution and Disclaimer on Interoperability
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00180.html
Pointing out that interoperability is not just about the pixels but maintained functionality (and something that is going to be difficult to verify?)

2008-06-12 Robert Weir, Re: Acid Tests
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00213.html
indicating some of the difficulties and, I notice, includes some material of others that are confusing  conformance assessment and product certification

2008-06-12 Robert Weir, Pixel Perfection
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00188.html
Nice review of pixel perfection issues, its absence among office documents except under extreme matching of configurations, and other considerations

2008-06-12 Sam Johnston, Re: (1)(f) and (1)(g) ...
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00146.html
still on pixel perfection, forking into issues about font agreement

2008-06-13 Simon Calderson, Thoughts on interop
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00232.html
important response concerning pixels, Acid tests, and who the audience is

2008-06-14 Jose Lorenzo, "Strictly conforming" is not related to "interoperable"
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00281.html
an assertion supported by analogy to programming-language specification

2008-06-15 Jose Lorenzo, Reference implementation strikes gold
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00325.html
raises interesting question of the role of a reference implementation and uses disturbing notion that OO.o is the reference implementation for ODF, something I seriously disbelieve

2008-06-16 Henrik Sundberg, ACID, roundtrip and Odf generation
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00378.html
on what application interoperability depends on (though not so sure about details of the claim)

2008-06-18 Robert Weir, Re: The importance to users of documents looking the same
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00438.html
on contributing to that with something achievable

2008-06-23 Robert Weir, Re: Deliverable: odf-diff
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00679.html
on kinds of reports that might come about when analyzing (checking or saving) an ODF document concerning interoperability and conformance

2008-06-23 Robert Weir, Re: Profiles: suggested use-cases
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00662.html
contains a vision statement for the value of this effort

2008-06-24 Michael Brauer, Re: Informative clauses
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00707.html
working over some illustrative cases using the ODF specification to come at conformance better

2008-07-01 Robert Weir, Re: List of ODF interop issues that need to be addressed
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200807/msg00033.html
in the midst of a lot of discussions around extensions and foreign elements, another problem around extensions introduced to comply with a regulation

2008-07-28 David Marston, Re: draft proposal 0.3 - Establishing the conformance landscape
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200807/msg00223.html

[end]