Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Profiling for Interoperability

2008/8/10 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:

> EXTENDED DISCUSSION
>
> I note that there are elements of this TC-formation discussion that are relevant to profiling for particular kinds of software interoperability and interchange scenarios concerning ODF documents.
>
> In general, there's a very big difference between determining that expression of a document using ODF is verifiable and valid against the specification and what software and its users rely upon and do in various circumstances.  The determination that a processor acts in a conformant way cannot be done without knowing what happens when given a conformant document,

You'd have to define a conformant document Dennis. Valid to the
schema? The hello world document is about 3 lines.

> This second kind of behavioral conformance assessment may depend on a declaration by a software producer (on being given a checklist or guide on how to prepare the declaration) so that adopters of the product can assess its suitability in a particular context of use.  Such a declaration would include deviations and extensions used/accepted as well as limitations on the degree of support for the ODF format (unimplemented features, how occurrence of such features are handled, etc.)

Highly unlikely from a commercial vendor, hence the need for a
compliance test against the spec, applicable to any
app or document claiming conformance to ODF.

> Another kind of assessment has to do with interoperability in a particular context of use or interoperability scenario.

Thats another definition of a profile. Use context.

> This leads, in my understanding, to the need for some sort of profiling, where a community of practice could agree on the details of behavioral conformance required for successful interchange in an interoperability situation.  It then becomes an interesting matter to consider whether such a community has technical means to ensure that the boundaries of the profile are not exceeded when using any qualified products and when creating documents or receiving them.

And if the IIC group came up with such a definition, whether it would
be acceptable to vendors and Oasis.

> I suspect that this kind of interoperability profile is far beyond conformance assessment and declaration, yet it is relevant to providing assurance among product adopters that the documents they produce are interchangeable in the expected context and the requisite interoperability scenario is satisfied.  Since this is generally unexplored territory, it is interesting to know how much its consideration would be in scope for OIIC at some level.

Hence our preference to leave it to the TC to develop as a deliverable.

> I looked through the discussion archives and I notice that this sense of profile is somewhat different than the use that has been given with regard to leveling of conformance, even for vertical situations.  I am thinking of provisions that would have adopters of the format be in control of their profile agreement and have technical means to make it real.

I don't recall any agreed/practical definition of profile. Rob came up
with a spec-ese  one that had little meaning
from some grand authority.

> I am thinking that it takes advances in the ODF specification to provide for this.   A format for specifying a profile, for interchange with or as part of an ODF document, would more likely be the responsibility of the ODF TC.

I'd prefer the iic TC to do that.

> In contrast, one could have guidelines on how a product could facilitate its mechanized conformance testing,

And a lot more.

> including how deviations, extensions, and limitations are handled and accounted for.

You just went out of scope.