Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Charter and Deliverables: the "State ofInteroperability" assessment activity

> CONCERN:
>
> I am startled to see assessments of the state of interoperability to
> be defined as the earliest work to be carried out.  I don't
> understand how this showed up with such prominence.  I would think
> that there are methodological issues and that maybe there needs to
> be some precursor to establishment of this activity.
>
> Shouldn't we also discuss whether the same group should perform this
> activity?  It strikes me that separation might be helpful in
> assuring some sort of objectivity and balance in the process.

The proposed TC would be goal-oriented -- improve ODF interoperability and
conformance.  It is proper then for the TC to make some assessment of
baseline interoperability and conformance, identify and prioritize the
gaps,and periodically thereafter to re-access and note the progress.
Otherwise it is like saying you are starting a weight-loss program but
have no intention of ever using a scale.

You can also think of it as basic requirements gathering, looking at the
vast range of interop/conformance issues one might attack, talking to
implementors and users, and determining which approaches will give the
best return on our invested efforts.

It would be a big waste of time, for example, if we blindly started
writing 100 test cases for text alignment, and only later found out that
all implementations did that feature perfectly, whereas table nesting was
an area that was the cause of many practical interop issues.

Remember, most TC efforts start with either a contribution of a base
specification, or a requirements gathering stage.

-Rob