oodf-board message

Subject: Re: [oodf-board] Knight foundation Grant Acceptance

P.S. Did you get a license from the City of LA to countersign yet? Theoretically one was coming.

Jamie

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:45 PM Jamie Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org> wrote:
Thanks.

My take it that it generally looks fine, though it should be shared with the OMF Board (if that hasn't already happened) so that they are aware of the conditions, which I note favor ("with an emphasis") four named cities' implementations. Nothing wrong with that -- as long as we have clear indications that (a) Jascha's confirmed with them in some way (that satisfies him) that this condition doesn't mean "the resources paid by Knight can only talk to or work with people in those four cities;" and (b) we somehow address the OMF Board's role here.  (There was no OMF Board at the time of the Rockefeller grant.)Â

When we accept one of these, we are basically entering into a contract for OMF. Now that there IS a working Board for OMF, the question comes up how they're included in the approval loop. Do you want to require just that the ED confirm to us that he's received all necessary approvals, whatever they may be? Or explicitly require him to obtain an action from the OMF Board?

(If this was a SPENDING contract, then it would have to fit within their budget in order to be signed, and THAT might require their Board to act first anyway, to amend that Budget. But this is the opposite, it's an agreement to ACCEPT money.)

Either way, it seems to me that, at the end when you have *signed* one for them, and it's a live contract, your confirming transmittal of *that* should be sent to the OMF Board, not just to the ED.

Jamie

James Bryce Clark, General Counsel, OASISÂ
Advancing open data, code and standards for the global information society https://www.oasis-open.org/staff

OpenMobilityFoundation.org (new), an OASIS-hosted open source program
EU 2019 Rolling Plan for ICT Standards: https://j.mp/EUstds2019