oodf-board message

Subject: Re: Urgent Trademark Legal Action: FW: Office Action Received for US Trademark Application for OPEN MOBILITY FOUNDATION

[Internal reply]

 Hi Mike. You have seen what Scott and I said to Kevin the TM lawyer, in a separate thread. What I can add to that is not very impressive, just this:
Cordially, Jamie
direct nonpublic mobile +1.310.293.6739

James Bryce Clark, General Counsel, OASIS Open, setting the standard for open collaboration

From 2019:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Adam Stephenson <adam@iptech.law>
Date: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM
Subject: RE: Possible TM transfer, no commitments ter
To: Jamie Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>, Todd Petersen <todd@ellis-and-associates.com>
Cc: OMF Exec Dir <exec_dir@openmobilityfoundation.org>, Scott McGrath <scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org>, Victoria Dower <victoria@ellis-and-associates.com>

Jamie,

After speaking with Todd, we have decided to expressly abandon the existing trademark application for OPEN MOBILITY FOUNDATION and the refile the application in the name of Open Mobility Foundation.

Attached are the filing receipts for the express abandonment and for the filing of the new trademark application which took place this afternoon. To avoid the Trademark Office trying to argue there are joint applicants for the trademark, I filed using Open Mobility Foundationâs name as my understanding after reviewing OASISâs documents is that Open Mobility Foundation is a separate LLC from OASIS Open Development Foundation LLC itself (this lets me just list one owner, which is what we want in this situation).

At this point, I recognize that my filing the new application in the name of Open Mobility Foundation has mean that I have, in this limited way, represented the company solely for the purposes of filing the new application. If you have other trademark counsel OASIS uses to handle trademark applications for companies associated with the foundation, I think it would be wise to have new counsel step in at this point and take over handling this case to minimize any connections with Movement Technologies.

However, I am happy to keep assisting with this case if it is what Open Mobility Foundation and the parties wish me to, I would just need to get a formal engagement agreement executed with Open Mobility Foundation to formalize the relationship. In about 3-3.5 months the Trademark Office Examiner will begin the examination process for the new application so we have some time before there will be any activity with the application.

Let me know your preference going forward. Thanks!

Adam