op-advisory-council message

Subject: OASIS Open Projects Advisory Council Meeting Recap

Hi everyone,

Many thanks as always for your time and feedback today. To summarize the agenda briefly for those who missed: Guy and Jory shared the branding and website update progress we've been making with HumanMade & Furthermore (developer & design agencies). The new site is scheduled for delivery in early November. We'll be taking today's feedback to our new copywriter so we can iterate on some of the value prop language, "our work" pieces, and perhaps most importantly building out that shared terminology across types of projects.

We discussed this feedback through the lens of Guy's Organizational priorities: Members are Members, Projects are Projects, and Repo-based Spec Development. We're doing a great deal of "groundwork" on these priorities including a unified member agreement for Open Project Sponsors and OASIS members and "project unification" via website consolidation and messaging. We also hope to provide better governance resources and templates, as well as training, to aid this kind of thinking.

We're also working on the Open Matters Forum events, and we would love your feedback on these conversations as well. To recap, we are looking to have 'deeper than normally seen' conversations about projects and topics in Open standards and open source, and would love to host you on an upcoming edition - here's a link to our schedule brainstorm document if you would like to collaborate by adding topics, themes, suggestions or notes.

We also agreed to push our Dec. meeting into the new year, to accomodate EOY schedules. Look for that cal update momentarily.

News from Open Projects We Didn't Get To:
We have our open source-developed specifications to reach the level of candidacy for OASIS Standard - OSLC Core v3.0 and Change Management v3.0 passed the special majority vote required to move forward out of the project committee, and are eligible to continue to become an OASIS Standard (upon completion of that protocol). This group is highly productive and collaborative, and we anticipate several standards arising from their work.

The Open Cybersecurity Alliance has been very busy as well, with several new connectors being contributed into the stix-shifter project, and the incoming contribution of NIST's SCAP v. 2. OCA held a webinar last week providing an overview of their architecture and introducing the SCAP v.2 work - check that video out here.
Open Cybersecurity Alliance.

Baseline protocol, a project in the Ethereum OASIS Open Project, has hit a number of milestones in its short lifespan including launching a v 0.1 reference implementation and hatching a committee to work on specification development. There are a number of companies working on supply chain challenges who have been signing up to support or participate. John Wolpert, chair of this project's technical steering committee, will be on the Open Matters Forum with Guy on Wednesday.

The Ethereum OASIS Open Project is also starting a repo to develop a formal specification for Ethereum 1.x JSON-RPC. This is a rare example of a non-controversial, highly useful workstream that we hope can serve as a basis for how Ethereum develops open standards with community developer input and participation. We suspect this will help OASIS deepen its partnership with Ethereum industry stakeholders as well.

Our work with Ethereum is raising our profile among blockchain practitioners in general. We have new projects that we anticipate launching soon in ad tech, healthcare, drones (!), and crypto-security. From a personal standpoint, the blockchain communities keep me very busy and very much on my toes!

Thank you all so, so much for your time and input. My notes and updates have been less frequent the last 12 weeks - which is a sign we have been very busy! We will endeavor to share more frequently via email in the next period, as there will be quite a bit going on.

Warmly,
Jory

--
OASIS Open Projects Program Manager