openc2-actuator message

Subject: Re: [openc2-actuator] SLPF: Should we get rid of the false ACK option?

Joe et al:

Here is the current text I see:

complete

Optional

A command option defined in this specification. Traffic meeting the criteria of the target specifier(s) is dropped and receipt of the packet is sent to the source address, i.e. a false acknowledgement

maybe it could be better stated as

complete

Optional

A command option defined in this specification. Traffic meeting the criteria of the target specifier(s) is dropped and receipt of the packet is sent to the source address and or destination address, i.e. a false acknowledgement, TCP reset

A TippingPoint guide states:

Each “Block” action can optionally specify that a TCP Reset occur, which results in the TOE resetting the TCP connection for the source or destination IP address when the Block action executes.

I can say that this works for a stateless tippingpoint device. So, no, a device does not have to maintain state to do this. It is more common to maintain state and do this, but it is not required.

https://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/files/epfiles/st_vid10435-st.pdf

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ips/7-0/configuration/guide/cli/cliguide7/cli_event_action_rules.html