openc2-actuator message

Subject: Re: [openc2-actuator] Proposed means to support (deny or allow) ICMP types

I'll agree with Kamer and Duncan, I did like what Kamer illustrated with bullets, I think option one is most extensible.

-Alex

From: openc2-actuator@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2-actuator@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Kamer Vishi <kamerv@ifi.uio.no>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 2:41 PM
To: Brule, Joseph M
Cc: openc2-actuator@lists.oasis-open.org

I will start my feedback with less preferred approach/option.

Approach TWO: e.g. when we have to deny/allow traffic based on TCP or UDP the property ICMP type will be unused.

Approach THREE a.k.a. "widening the 5-tuple”; is a discussion which is mainly for NGF (Next-Generation Firewalls).
  • source IP address (1)
  • destination IP address (2)
  • source port (3)
  • destination port (4)
  • protocol (5) & flags (6)
    • TCP
      • SYN bit
      • ACK bit
    • ICMP
      • icmp-type
    • UDP
Approach ONE is my preference since ICMP data (type and code) are specifically used with proto=ICMP (NOT for UDP and TCP).

--
Best,

Kamer Vishi
Doctoral Research Fellow

Research Group of Information and Cyber Security (SEC)
Logo

Contact Information
a: Postboks 1080 Blindern
0316 Oslo, Norway
m: +47 942 59 172
e: kamerv@uio.no

Facebook icon   LinkedIn icon   Twitter icon   Instagram icon