openc2-actuator message

Subject: Re: [openc2-actuator] [Non-DoD Source] Use Case

Thats a very nice use case.

It depends on the environment and the service offered. In some environments the consumer will get the path of the file to be scanned from the OpenC2 command and be able to access this file. In some other environments we need to push/upload the file to be investigated.

The command is the same, lets say, scan:file. Then, we use the appropriate specifiers, such us, path or hash. For the new use case we need an additional specifier, this can be for example âcontentâ or âresourceâ or something else that will allow us to include the binary or other formats. We donât care about the bandwidth or any other constraints. This is for the entity that decided to implement OpenC2 to decide how to handle things.

So simply, in one case you give a path and the consumer knows what to do, in the second case you send the content and the consumer again knows what to do. The difference is the target specifier used. OpenC2 is agnostic of the implementation. We just try to make things easy and semantically interoperable.

Hope that helps.

-Vasileios