openc2-imple message

Subject: IC-SC should have a meeting to discuss

Trying to stick to our swim lanes, I suggest the IC-SC hold a meeting to discuss implementation since a lot of chatter is occurring on LSC that seems to indicate there is stuff for IC-SC to discuss in the areas of transport (eg HTTPS API's and OpenDxl and STIX). I recognize some think we have too many meetings already (I personally do not - I think more meetings leads to faster resolution), but IC-SC has no scheduled meetings. The rationale was that the language was too immature so the IC-SC had nothing to do. But discussions seem to be occurring anyway so I'd rather they occur where they belong in the IC-SC.

I propose we need to draft a specification for implementing OpenC2 on an HTTPS API between an OpenC2 producer (eg an orchestrator) and an OpenC2 consumer (eg an actuator).

I propose we need to draft a specification for implementing OpenC2 on OpenDxl for sending commands between an OpenC2 producer (eg an orchestrator) and an OpenC2 consumer (eg an actuator).

I propose someone (not clear if IC-SC or STIX-SC) needs to draft a specification for implementing OpenC2 on STIX for  (someone who wants this should propose the wording here and supply a usecase).

I'm proposing specifications (as opposed to committee note which is non-binding) because I do believe this is where the rubber will meet the road wrt interoperability and conformance. I do think we can have different specifications for different environments (ie we can have at least the 3 above - we don't need to 'pick just one').

I'd be happy to start putting black ink pen to paper is people think this is worthwhile. But I don't want to do it if people think it will detract from ongoing work or if it will just disappear into the bitbucket since no meeting to discuss.

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [openc2-lang] Re: [EXT] [openc2-lang] RE: [Non-DoD Source]
RE: [openc2-lang] mandatory vs optional, Header, id, version, timestamp,
sender
From: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Date: Mon, January 29, 2018 11:32 am
To: "Kemp, David P" <dpkemp@radium.ncsc.mil>, 'Bret Jordan'
<Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, Sridhar Jayanthi <sridhar@polylogyx.com>
Cc: "Brule, Joseph M" <jmbrule@radium.ncsc.mil>, "duncan@sfractal.com"
<duncan@sfractal.com>, openc2-lang <openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org>

I wasn't suggesting we reuse Bundle for OpenC2 objects.

I was suggesting conceptually that including header information that comes with payload is a common concept that is helpful/useful in system exchange and interoperability.

A couple of examples where header information is exchanged as part of the protocol:

IPFIX https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7011
HTTP https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230

If OpenC2 is just a language then I would suggest we need to start working on a protocol spec cause that’s what we need for products to implement OpenC2.

Allan