openc2-imple message

Subject: RE: [openc2-imple] Fwd: [members] #OData to OpenAPI Mapping v1.0 published by OData TC

+1 @ Toby,  I remember the comment and wasn’t sure what was meant either.  It would be analogous of saying we need to create an API for OSPF or RIP…  The reviewer must have meant something else

From: openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Considine, Toby
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:53 AM
To: dave.lemire <dave.lemire@g2-inc.com>; oasis.oc2.icsc <openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org>

What does this even mean?

OpenC2 is, IIANM, intended to be a Service Oriented communication protocol. The API for any SOA is, by definition, the Services and only the Services.

A primary purpose of a SOA is to permite diversity of technology and process, and all systems or devices are judged solely by how well (time, expense, completeness, ....) thye perform that service.

A service stops at the Surface of the system, where the services are expressed. APIs are under the surface.

Perhaps those advocating an API could add further definition. Perhaps what they are asking for does not violate principles of SOA. But I don't see it based on this thread.

FWIW, a great write-up of the principles of SOA is the OASIS SOA Reference Model,  which was used as a seed standard for everyone from the OMG to NIEM.

tc