openc2-lang message

Subject: Re: [EXT] [openc2-lang] What does "transport agnostic" mean?

There is a difference between relying on high-level elements like the CIA triad, and ensuring that certain things are there, like unique IDs that can be used in a  graph, serial numbers for messages so that you know which version was acted on.

Bret

From: openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of duncan@sfractal.com <duncan@sfractal.com>
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 11:51:26 AM
To: openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org

Bret,
I do not agee with your statement:
"...OpenC2 as a stand alone, protocol and transport agnostic solution.  As such, we can not assume or rely on any thing from the transport...".

I think we can assume and rely on requirements we put in the implementation guidance without specifying the details of how they are met. We can assume CIA - confidentiality, integrity, and availability to whatever extent the users require ie the message does reach the recipient (availability), that it was not changed in transit (integrity), that the link is secure (confidentiality). How much effort is required for each of these and what techniques are used is up to the users and implementation community for a particular interworking scenario. And the fact we haven't recommended any transport alternatives yet (although we have, https-api, stix, etc) doesn't mean we won't. I think we will recommend several and interworking will still work and we will have CIA.

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize