openc2-lang message

Subject: Some History

I am submitting this email as Duncan of sFractal not as LSC co-chair.

The Language Subcommittee has participants with varying lengths of participation in OpenC2 so I'm sending this to give my biased view of where to look to find some of the previous arguments alluded to. Some comments were made at F2F that prompted me to send this. I agree that it is impractical to go back to the beginning of the language slack channel and read everything anybody ever said, or to read thru the entire email archives. But there are some historical artifacts worth noting.

The OpenC2 Forum (note this was not an OASIS TC but an industry forum) was established to address the need for a command and control language. They spent I believe it was two years (I came in a year before OASIS so I'm not as clear on history before that) creating what we felt was a reasonable spec. It was an 'input' document when the OASIS Openc2 TC was formed and is available at https://openc2-community.slack.com/files/U2Q9USYPR/F4S4FH2RM/language-description-document_v1.0.0-rc.4.pdf (probably somewhere on OASIS website as well). This was the foundation of the "150 page" google doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l7rIZl_I_zZb1FQOMYZkfUI04O7sNasZ-ozUvMn5SMU). "RC4" was also what most of the software to date has been written to. This is just a reminder that the 'blank' sections of the current document have some content to start from (ie look at RC4). The google doc made from rc4 also contains alot of comments but has become dated. I think the rc4 doc is cleaner because it was a starting point. The google doc has some resolutions in it but then wasn't updated further when we switched to incremental so it may be harder for those not involved at the time. I do recommend looking at RC4 to fill in some of the blanks. But do note we have made some major decisions since then which make it obsolete- so only use it for context and history.

Another place to look is on the wiki. When we have included documentation of our discussions, it has tended to be on the wiki. Particularly people may want to look at the LSC Issues page https://wiki.oasis-open.org/openc2/LanguageSubCommittee#Issues.

Hopefully this helps more than it hurts.

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize