openc2-lang message

Subject: Example Thread

I’m sending this email as sFractal Consulting, not as LSC co-chair.

The agile methodology encourages delivering frequently and incrementally. In Agile software development, what is delivered is based on (1) business needs and (2) taking a ‘thread’ completely thru the architecture to meet a portion of that need, even if it’s a very skinny thread. Ie to deliver something of value, even it is only a small piece of what is needed overall.

Applying this philosophy to our developing the language specification, I suggested the ‘thread’ approach at the F2F.
My idea of a thread was the JSON for a particular command in a particular use case; and the corresponding JSON response.

This email is amplify on what I intended - by explaining using an actual sFractal use case. I would like to use https://github.com/sparrell/openc2-lsc-usecases/blob/master/sFractalConsulting/01.another_user.md. For the purpose of the LSC, the use case details are largely immaterial and I don’t think we should spend time at the LSC discussing - members can read the page on their own. What is important to discuss is the thread, ie the JSON command sent:
https://github.com/sparrell/openc2-lsc-usecases/blob/master/sFractalConsulting/01.another_user.md#openc2-json-command
and the response:
https://github.com/sparrell/openc2-lsc-usecases/blob/master/sFractalConsulting/01.another_user.md#response.

I think it would be valuable to discuss the following for the command, and for the response:
  • Does it meet the spec?
  • If not, why not?
    • If something missing from spec, what to add to spec?
    • If different from spec, does spec change or sFractal JSON change?

Walking thru the sFractal thread for illustrative purposes yields:
  1. “action”:"allow” -
  2. “target”:{} -
  3. “ip_connection” -
  4. "ipv4_src": "6.6.6.6","ipv4_dst": "1.1.1.1","layer4_protocol": "TCP", "dst_port": 443, "src_port": 44306
  5. “options”:
  6. The {} after “options”
  7. "command_id": "pf17_8675309"
  8. "start_time": "now"
  9. "duration": “30s"
  10. Note the command did not specify a ‘response desired’ command option, yet a response is created. This use case assumes that since it is an https api, that there will be a response of some sort. Should the 'want a response' command option default 'yes' (my assumption) or 'no' (in which case I need to add it so I would get a response)?
  11. The response on the https api is 200/OK.
  12. "response_code" : "Command Accepted"
  13. "command_id": "pf17_8675309"
The method described above should tease out missing aspects of the specification. We could go down a lot of rabbit holes of possible arguments on hypothetical usecases, so I propose we focus on those that we have black ink examples of. This would then encourage others to get their black pens out and submit more command/responses of interest to them.

I am submitting this in the spirit of explaining what I meant by threads and how it might help us focus. As this shows, just a simple thread has plenty of issues (13 listed). Conversely, if we solve these the tractable 13 issues, we then have at least one implementable thread complete. I would propose we tackle those issues one a time, but not necessarily in the order above. For example people may want to discuss the command options first and then the response and then the details of ip_connection.

I am not wedded to doing this particular command. As my previous email stated, I would prefer to start on simpler and less controversial threads. Looking at the other threads I know of includes the 4 directories in https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-lsc-usecases (yes I'm plugging github as usual):
Looking at them in reverse order - I've already covered what I think is the most appropriate sFractal use case. PolyLogyx has the presentation we viewed at F2F but doesnot yet have specific threads as I define them (ie actual example JSON commands and responses) so for now I'll defer. The DoD use case is not what I would consider 'simpler', but I could be wrong since it doesn't yet include example JSON; so for now I'll defer. There were more ATT use cases at the F2F than on github but I think the two threads that Mike Stair put on github are particularly relevant and I suggest we walk thru them in a similar way I did the above analysis.They are at
- https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-lsc-usecases/blob/master/ATT/01.contain.md
- https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-lsc-usecases/blob/master/ATT/02.allow.md

If there are other threads that people have black-penned, we can do similar.

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize