openc2-lang message

Subject: Line Numbers for Public Review

In todayâs meeting, the desirability of line numbers in PDFs for public review was discussed. There was some concerns raised on if it was even allowed.

The use of Line Numbers in a PDF for public review is not only allowed, but recommended.

See below. The OASIS editors guide is newly revised, and a notice was sent to all chairs last week.

Thanks, Chet! I missed it when I ran through the on-line docs.

See below.

From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:24 PM
To: Considine, Toby <Toby.Considine@unc.edu>
Subject: Re: The OASIS Editor's Handbook is now available

Toby, thanks. Actually, that is a topic I should spell out explicitly - preparing your work for public review.

The topic of line numbers is there though. Section 4.1.5 in part 4 (https://docs.google.com/document/d/10lt8f2pn_ebZTsWJiGYiWYzyo6NbjuTskvDcS2tSyPw/edit#). It starts:

4.1.5 Line numbering

Ah, line numbers. So seductive; so seemingly precise.

And goes on to say that you should only use them in PDF because that is the only way you can guarantee that the numbers are the same for all viewers.

I will go back to the Table of Contents and decide where to put a section on prepping your work for PR. That is a section that editors can really use.

Best,

/chet