OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

openc2 message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: [openc2] June 7, 2017 OpenC2 kickoff meeting.

Title: [openc2] June 7, 2017 OpenC2 kickoff meeting.



The purpose of this correspondence is to provide an update to the agenda for the OpenC2 kickoff and to provide some background information to enable a smooth meeting.


Recall that the kickoff for the OASIS OpenC2 Technical Committee (TC) will take place tomorrow  from 13:00 to 14:30 Eastern. Our transition from a self-chartered forum to the OASIS international standards body is a major milestone for us and we are looking forward to operating within OASIS.


First order of business; Thank you for your interest in this TC.  We knew that the formation of this TC was in fact warranted, but did not anticipate this level of interest. As of now, our roster consists of 81 people spanning 43 organizations and five individuals.  We have representation from a wide range of stakeholders and this will lead to well deliberated and quality artifacts.


The agenda will be streamlined in order to accommodate the number of participants and to incorporate comments received on the draft agenda.


The meeting will follow the parliamentary procedure outlined by Roberts Rule of Order.  We request that the participants await acknowledgement from the chair and to identify themselves when speaking to facilitate the capture of minutes.

Refer to the agenda as modified at this URL: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/openc2/event.php?event_id=4518 <https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/openc2/event.php?event_id=4518>7

Extra time was allocated for the meeting logistics and standing rules. (13:45 to 13:55)

The OpenC2 Overview session (13:55 to 14:20) will be modified as follows:

·       A co-chair of the TC will provide a short overview of the OpenC2 effort itself and a discussion of the standing rules of the TC

·       A co-chair of each subcommittee will discuss the scope of the subcommittee and the artifacts to be transitioned to the SC. The three subcommittees are:

o       Language Description Document

o       Actuator Profile

o       Implementation Considerations

There are two items that I would like you to consider in advance of the kickoff: 


We should strongly consider starting meetings at 11:00 Eastern.  This will accommodate our colleagues on the West Coast (three hours earlier) and our colleagues in Europe (either five or six hours later).  We do have two members from Australia and one from China.  The Australian members routinely do business in Europe so will be able to accommodate the time zone and our colleague from China joined as an observer.

We should avoid Thursday meetings if at all practical.  Many of our members are also OASIS CTI TC members.  The CTI TC does much of its business on Thursday and we should avoid a conflict. 

Please consider the following tempo: 

·       The OpenC2 TC meeting will take place on the second Wednesday of every month from 11:00 to 12:00 Eastern

·       The Implementation Considerations Subcommittee will take place on the first and third Wednesday of every month from 11:00 to 12:00 Eastern

·       The Language Description Document Subcommittee will take place on the first and third Tuesday of every month from 11:00 to 12:30 Eastern

·       The Actuator Profile Subcommittee will take place on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month from 11:00 to 12:30 Eastern.

The frequency and duration of the meetings can be modified at the discretion of the subcommittee chairs with rough consent of the subcommittee members.


We have a large and diverse group. This will result in a wide perspective and robust standard. We have to ensure that all matters are

deliberated sufficiently.  The SME's must have every opportunity to present their findings and provide their recommendations as well as a minority report.

We will produce superior products if we adopt the notion of rough consent (rather than majority rule) as outlined in the IETF RFC 7282. 

I would like you to consider a rule of the TC.  To this end the following standing rules will be adopted: 

Typically, the artifacts will be created and deliberated at the subcommittee (SC) level.

The SC will submit its artifacts and findings at a minimum of seven days prior to the meeting of the committee as a whole.

The SC will present it to the committee as a whole.

The chair will call for objections.  Any member present may object (not restricted to voting members).

The objection must include some brief reason for their position and may (but not necessarily) propose a solution. 

Other members may support the objection. 

The committee as a whole will have a standing rule that objections to a proposal from a SC by more than 1/4 of the TC Members present will be taken as sufficient cause to send the proposal back to the SC for further deliberation.

These rules may be suspended on a per issue basis with the consent of both co-chairs;

These standing rules will help us gain rough consensus and avoid hasty decisions.   It is appropriate for a body to have standing rules and I believe that the proposed is consistent with the guidance in RFC 7282.

Thank you

Very Respectfully,

Joe Brule

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]