Subject: Re: [openc2] Re: [EXT] Re: [openc2] Standing Rules of the OpenC2 Technical Committee

One of my reasons for being so anal is how differently the forum operated because all said and done, the chair did have the ultimate authority to categorically decide. Open standards organizations like OAISIS operate diffferently so I'm sensitive to codifying the chair having more power.

I'd also like to be picky on the chairs main responsibility is to end on time. Their responsibility is to facilitate reaching consensus. They should respect members time and ending on time is important if the group so desires. Meetings can run over if the majority of voting members present vote to do so - albeit running over is usually not in the best interest of reaching consensus.

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting, LLC
The closer you look, the more you see
_____________________________
From: Kemp, David P <dpkemp@radium.ncsc.mil>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2017 9:06 AM
To: 'Trey Darley' <trey@newcontext.com>, Bret Jordan <bret_jordan@symantec.com>
Cc: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>, <duncan@sfractal.com>, Brule, Joseph M <jmbrule@radium.ncsc.mil>, 'openc2@lists.oasis-open.org' <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org>, 'David Kemp' <dk190a@gmail.com>

The chair hat is worn by a facilitator of discussion. The member hat is worn by people who do the work. One person can wear more than one hat as long as roles are clear.

The OpenC2 Forum has operated successfully *and flexibly* throughout its organizational life; agendas routinely got slaughtered during meetings. We almost always ended on time, which is one of a chair's primary responsibilities :-). This focus on standing rules is perhaps engendered by unfamiliarity with OASIS processes; I expect that as we get settled in, the rules whatever they are will be largely invisible during routine operations of the TC.

Dave