Subject: Re: [openc2] Question about Sept meeting minutes

adding my support...

[Allan] "We are not precluding anyone implementing other mappings.  But if you define OpenC2 in JSON then you *must* implement it according to the specification of that mapping."

We (I) need OpenC2 today (not 6 mouths from now), the ecosystem in which it will most likely be used (TAXII2/STIX2/CybOX2 or MISP) is compatiable with JSON.

I wish to support this approach as well, to paraphrase, the mapping should have the "must" and these musts must be limited the the approved spec (if it not in the spec it is not a must)...

Interoperability is in the "Must" of a specification, and not in the "Should" and "Optional".

What about Should and Optional?

"Should"

- If there is a "best/suggested practices" then this realm of Should. While the OpenC2 body should arbitrates "best/suggested" practices, it should independent of the specification (and handle as they arise not before)

"Optional"

- again to use Allen's word: this is the realm of the "market" were flexibility can be encouraged

- Leave the Optional (and to a less extent, Should) to the implementers (coders) and the market to hash out.  Let this back-and-forth inform the OpenC2 body next revision