Subject: RE: [openc2] RE: [Non-DoD Source] RE: [openc2] Question about Sept meeting minutes

Allan,

No.  Much of any standard is informative text that provides background information or aids understanding.   RFC 2119 says:

   Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care

   and sparingly.  In particular, they MUST only be used where it is

   actually required for interoperation or to limit behavior which has

   potential for causing harm (e.g., limiting retransmisssions).

So wherever the Language Specification includes 2119 keywords, that is a normative requirement for which a conformance test can be devised.  There is no conformance test for:

  The OpenC2 Language Specification defines the set of components to

 assemble a complete command and control message capability and

 provide a framework so that the language can be extended to accommodate

 new technologies. To achieve this purpose, the scope of this specification includes:

so the Purpose and Scope section of the language spec is non-normative.   If there is not currently a requirement in the LS that says implementations MUST serialize commands in accordance with the property tables, then that requirement must be added to the LS, it would be normative, and implementations can be tested against that requirement.   If there is no normative requirement regarding property tables, then they are only informative.  I don’t see such a requirement, the closest I could find is:

  Table 2-1 summarizes the fields and subfields of an OpenC2 Command.

 OpenC2 Commands MUST contain an ACTION and TARGET and MAY contain

 an ACTUATOR and/or COMMAND-OPTIONS.

That is both excessive and insufficient as a requirement – excessive because the property table for a command specifies which fields are required, and insufficient because the content of the property tables can be ignored.

Dave