Subject: Re: Java Copyright

Hi Duncan,

We are researching this now. Just to explain, the issue has to do with trademarks. The OASIS rules do not allow the use of trademarks not owned by OASIS in the name of any Work Product unless granted an exemption by the board. That is to ensure that a third party cannot later come back to OASIS and make a fuss over unauthorized use of their TM. Oracle does claim a trademark for "Java."

In this case, there is precedence so I don't anticipate a problem. But we do need to clear this with Jamie before proceeding.

Hope this helps explain where we're at.

/chet