Subject: Standing Rule 4: Election and Term of OpenC2 Co-chairs

I would like to reiterate several points Joe mentioned and propose some changes.

According to standard OASIS practices, elections are for life terms and I wholeheartedly support periodic re-elections. I have even suggested this to OASIS as a whole for all TCâs and my understanding is this is under consideration. Since OASIS uses 2 year terms for OASIS  Board, I think two year terms is very appropriate. I think the SR wording should be changed to 2 years instead of 24 months. 24 months implies a precision that I donât think is intended. OASIS Board uses 2 years and I think that is what we should use.

I think staggering terms by 1 year is better than potentially changing both cochairs at same time. It also makes the election easier (just voting for one position). I do think the âcurrentâ terms should run until June so the current chairs can serve their full two years (ie no need to cut it short). So I propose the SR be modified to June. This would also give us time to do nominations one meeting, election next (January seems rushed).

I am against term-limits. People should be allowed to continue if they want to and if the group wants them to,

Election of a cochair requires a majority of voting members voting for one candidate. I think âinstant runoffâ is both more fair and more time-efficient if there are 3 or more candidates for a position. Instead of voting for a single candidate, you rank order your choices. This is considered more fair by many involved with elections. It is more likely to support âthe will of the peopleâ when there are âsplit voteâ scenarios. More importantly from our viewpoint, it may save having to vote again if no winner in round 1. Note it may even help if only two candidates and enough people considered their second choice acceptable enough to include. I recognize instant runoff may be logistically challenging to do by January (but we could potentially do by June or in future elections).

I propose the election of the TC cochair occur prior to the cochairs in the agenda. I assume this would be the case (was in the inaugural TC meeting) but worth stating,

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/