Subject: Re: [openc2] New Standing Rule Proposal for IRV Ballot

Hi Duncan, hi everybody -Â

I ask that you table this discussion while I take this up with the board process committee.Â

While I agree with the positive benefits that the more modern voting protocol offers, I continue to be concerned that this requires a significant stretch of the definition of Full Majority Vote. My approach to applying OASIS rules is to take the simplest interpretation of their meaning. In this case, 1 vote for 1 option and 50%+1 is needed to succeed. I believe that the simple approach has served OASIS well.Â

Since we don't have a technology platform that can support this now, the standing rule will be entirely hypothetical (or aspirational - take your pick). In addition, the situation where it may be needed is hypothetical; no harm has yet occurred. This is a 'just-in-case' rule and, in my experience, those were the sorts of regulations that added bulk and complexity to the OASIS process itself. We spent a year plus weeding out a lot of complexity that had crept in over time in response to rare or theoretical concerns. OASIS is a lot better for that streamlining.Â

I will forward yourÂemail above to the board's process committee Duncan and open an issue with them to discuss it. If they have no concerns or are fine with using this as a test case, then you can proceed withÂconfidence that there will be no objection to it. I will let you know after we have had the opportunity to discuss.Â

Thanks for your patience,Â

/chetÂ