Subject: Re: [openc2] Re: Broadcast IP addresses and OpenC2

Certainly the only transfer spec we have right now, HTTPS, is designed for point-to-point connection so broadcast IP addresses don't make sense there.

If you're using a pub/sub protocol you could do broadcast to actuators within the messaging fabric and again broadcast IP addresses don't make sense.

There might be some cases for using broadcast IP addresses on isolated networks, but all of the things that occur to me right now where that might be an operational fit are SCADA / OT type networks, and my understanding is that those are usually very brittle when presented with unexpected traffic, so it seems likely to be a bad idea in that context.

The security concerns with such are broadcast are also concerning.Â

Lacking a supporting use case I'd think it would be better to prohibit it. That said, I don't see a good place in our current fleet of specifications to place any kind of prohibition.

Dave

David P. Lemire
, CISSP
 OpenC2 Technical Committee Secretary
 OpenC2 Implementation Considerations SC Co-chair
 Contractor support to NSA
Email: dave.lemire@g2-inc.com
Office: 301-575-5190 / Mobile: 240-938-9350