Subject: RE: [openc2] openc2-cap repository proposal

+1

CAP is a very well socialized acronym, and I fear distributing an OPenC2 CAP message inside a CAP alert encoded in EDXLâ

From: openc2@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Chet Ensign
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:56 PM
To: Dave Lemire <dave.lemire@g2-inc.com>
Cc: OASIS OpenC2 List <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hey Dave, I just saw this. One thing that occurs to me is the potential for confusion around the name.

CAP is an OASIS Standard - Common Alerting Protocol (https://www.oasis-open.org/standards#capv1.2). The CAP standard is widely deployed in emergency communication systems around the globe for all manner of disaster: tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados. floods. For people outside our community, seeing CAP already comes with a lot of meaning to it. (And in case anybody thinks that the differences are obvious, I just spent 20 minutes yesterday explaining why a potential legal markup project had nothing to do with CAP's sibling EDXL (Emergency Data Exchange Language).

I would like to avoid muddying the meaning of CAP if possible by using a different acronym. Maybe cucp or cacp or capro? I'm sure you all can find a far more elegant solution than that!

Thanks much,

/chet