Subject: Upcoming changes to OASIS Open Repositories

Members of the CSAF, CTI, DITA, LegalDocML, LegalRuleML, OpenC2, and TOSCA TCs,

Members have been telling us that the names and URLs of our Open Repository program (https://github.com/oasis-open) and OASIS Open Projects program (http://oasis-open-projects.org/) are confusing. After discussion between staff and board, we agree and have decided to change the name and the organizational URL associated with Open Repositories.

As the TCs with active Open Repos, I'm alerting you ahead of time so that you can get back to us with any questions, concerns, or thoughts before I move forward with these changes, likely later next week. Â

These changes do not affect the TC GitHub projects or Open Projects at all.

We currently have 38 open repositories set up for 8 TCs. Our plan is to change the GitHub Open Repo organization name from Â/oasis-open/ to /oasis-tc-public-repos/ and change the program name on all the documentation from "OASIS TC Open Repositories" to "OASIS TC Public Repositories."

GitHub alerts you to the following impacts from such an action:

- Your old organization name is then up for grabs. I will recreate a new organization to reserve the name but make it private so that it doesn't show up in search results.

- Most references to repositories under the old organization name automatically change to the new name. Web links to existing repositories will continue to work.

- If you have forked a copy, you can continue pushing your local repositories to the old URL without updating it, however, GitHub recommends updating all existing remote repository URLs.

- Links to the previous organization profile page will return a 404 error, so any external pointers, e.g. from a Twitter profile, should be updated. I will update links on TC home pages and OASIS documentation. However, if you use the links in other places - for example, in JIRA issues, you may want to update your links.

- API requests that use the old organization's name will return a 404 error but I doubt that is an issue.

- @mention redirects won't automatically be updated.

If you have questions, concerns, or observations, please let us know. I will be preparing to make this change over the next few days but there isn't a rush.

Thanks & best regards,

/chetÂ
Chet Ensign
Chief Technical Community Steward