Subject: Common Material in OpenC2 Specifcations

All,

You may recall that for version 1.0 of the specs, we took the approach of all three specs having the same 'front matter'.  At the time, I don't think anyone considered this ideal, but we treated it as a post 1.0 issue.

At the last TC meeting the issue was brought up again, so I took an action to frame the issue with the co-chairs then bounce it off the TC via the email relay.

CURRENT:  All specifications have the same material in section 1.0 so that interested parties know the scope of the document, which specification(s) to go to if additional information is needed and define the common architectural baseline.

I believe the following captures our options (in no particular order).

Â	ONE:  Use the common material in the front of the specs to create a separate document that is simply referenced in future specifications.
Â	TWO:  Document all of the architecture and other common material in the language specification and have the actuator profiles and transfer specifications reference the language spec.
Â	THREE:  Maintain common front matter for all OpenC2 specifications (that is maintain current).
Â	FOUR:  Combine all OpenC2 specifications into a single specification and add a normative section that requires the language portion, at least one of the transfers and the appropriate actuators.

VR

Joe Brule